Our program includes eleven General Transcription lessons. Mastery of each lesson
is needed to become a top-notch transcriptionist. Each lesson is followed by a quiz.
You will need to pass the quiz in order to get to the next lesson.
Below is the list of lessons and what you will learn:
1. Transcription Tips – This lesson includes an overview of transcription;
what is transcription, different types of transcription, and career opportunities
in the transcription field. In this lesson, we also go over equipment needed for
doing transcription work, and tips that will help you when transcribing. The lesson
also explains the importance of accuracy, formatting, and other important factors
2. Speech - The information contained in this lesson is a basic
guide to the parts of speech and how they function within the English language.
There are thousands of words that comprise the English language. All of these words
are categorized into eight classifications as nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs,
adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections. English grammar is merely
a set of rules that are established to organize and communicate speech into sentences,
phrases, and clauses.
3. Punctuation – Punctuation can be a difficult thing to keep up
on because it seems like the rules change as often as fads go in and out of style.
However, you will learn about foundational rules that will always be in place, and
that will make your writing more professional, readable, and clear.
4. Interruptive Dialogue – A lot of audios have multiple speakers,
who interrupt each other; it can be difficult to transcribe these types of files
accurately. This lesson will provide tips and rules on transcribing interruptive
5. Sentence Structure – The English language contains many common
sentence types that state or imply something about a subject or asking a question.
This lesson will help you to be able to recognize basic sentence types, which will
increase your knowledge of English and help you transcribe more accurately.
6. Proofreading – Proofreading is an important skill for any qualified transcriber. Although many companies have QA departments, you should never turn in transcripts that are not proofread first. You may not want to read through a document that you just typed up, but this lesson will help you in making proofreading easy and efficient.
7. Keyboard Skills – Keyboarding, contrary to popular belief, is
not all about typing speed! In order to become a great keyboarder, you need to be
familiar with all sides of your keyboard, top, right, left, and bottom. By becoming
familiar with the tools that your keyboard offers, not only will you increase your
typing speed, but will also discover some faster ways to do things in your programs
8. Regional Accents – This lesson will give you tips on how to
transcribe heavily accented audio, so that your transcripts can have the highest
9. Microsoft Word – The MS Word lesson is a very detailed tutorial
on the program. Most, if not all, transcription companies require you to transcribe
your documents into Microsoft Word format, so it is very important to be familiar
with the tools of the program. After completing this lesson you will start working
with MS Word as an expert!
10. Time Management - A very important part of being a great transcriptionist is being able to meet strict deadlines. You may end up working for several transcription companies as an independent contractor, and may find yourself juggling several projects along with your household commitments. Working from home makes it even harder to keep deadlines. This lesson gives many tips that will help you organize and maximize your income when working for transcription companies on several projects.
11. Privacy – Privacy consists of a set of rules that most transcription companies must
follow pertaining to confidentiality and privacy of the person and company whose
recording is getting transcribed. Confidentiality is one of the most important aspects
of transcription. Many clients are submitting highly confidential materials and
this lesson will specify the rules for being Privacy Guidelines.